Monday, March 17, 2008

Blazin' Blaisins

TWD: Dorie's Brioche Raisin Snails

I really wish that I had more time to post things other than my TWD posts each week, but for some reason I just haven't had an enormous amount of time for cooking lately. I'm going to make a real effort to post about some other stuff here over the next week or so. Not that I don't love Tuesday's with Dorie, but I definitely need a little more variety.

Anyway, on to this week's challenge...This challenge was chosen by Peabody of Culinary Concoctions by Peabody (the link is in my favorites list). She bravely chose Dorie's Brioche Raisin Snails. I must be honest and say, I saw this at first and groaned, you see I'm a raisin hater. They just do absolutely nothing for me in a dessert. This is odd but for some reason I liken biting into a raisin in a cake or cookie to biting into a large bug. Yes, I know I'm an odd person; my husband judges me frequently! Anyway, finally I saw that some people were subbing the raisins out for other dried fruits and fortunately I was able to find dried blueberries (hence the "blaisins" in the title), can I say YUM! I knew these would be perfect.

The next step was securing some help and hopefully a better location for making this complicated challenged. Luckily I know that my mom is always willing to help out when I need a hand and a bigger kitchen. She volunteered and we spent most of Sunday making the parts of this challenge. We made a fantastic brioche dough, an okay pastry cream (it tasted fabulous but was a little lumpy, I think I rushed it), and some really, really good flambeed dried blueberries. That was definitely the coolest step. We tried to take a picture but unfortunately the flames just wouldn't show up, but trust me it flamed up pretty good!

We decided to let all of the pieces chill overnight and got together on Monday to finish up the snails or Brioche Blueberry Twirls (I renamed them because I couldn't get past the "snail" idea...once again I'm a weirdo). I must say that these were actually really easy to put together. The dough rolled out with no problems, the pastry cream, raisins, cinnamon, and sugar were of course easy to apply, and the mixture actually rolled up with no problems whatsoever! I was a little worried about cutting each roll, but I just used short, fluid slices to cut through them without flattening the whole roll. After rising, they turned out perfectly!!


Finally, the taste...WOW, these are so incredibly tasty. Every aspect of these snails or twirls was fantastic. The brioche was nice and buttery, the blueberries were tangy and sweet, and the pastry cream was luscious! The icing was the perfect finishing touch. I really could not have been more pleased with how these turned out, but I must say the blueberries were the best touch. I really think that raisins would have done these "snails" a disservice. The blueberries are the way to go...trust me! These would definitely be worth trying again with blueberries if you tried something else the first time. Anyway, here's the final product and if you would like the recipe visit Peabody's blog.


I also have to give credit where it is due; my mom is a stickler for presentation in photos so she created my leafy presentation for my final picture. She actually clipped the leaves and berries from the plants in her yard. As soon as she e-mails me a picture of her beautiful yard I will be sure to post it here. She does a fabulous job with her flowers and plants; it's always beautiful! So thanks Mama!

26 comments:

Engineer Baker said...

So pretty! Even the ones without the leafy presentation :-P I'm so glad mine are only a wee bit flatter than yours, and I must say that your blueberries have piqued my interest...

Michelle said...

They look great! And wonderful presentation, mama! I used raisins and loved them, but I bet blueberries would be wonderful as well!

amanda. said...

They look wonderful! And your mom did a great job with the decoration. I can't wait to see her yard.

I hate raisins too. I think they smell like dirty feet. :)

Annemarie said...

They look great...not at all like snails...that's a good thing :)! I'm so with you on the raisin thing!

noskos said...

Great and tasty looking swirls!! I might try blueberries next time in one roll.

Sarah said...

Great job! Your twirls look great! My pastry cream was a tad lumpy too...but that didn't hurt the taste.

L said...

Gorgeous snails. Your presentation is lovely!

Marie Rayner said...

Ohh, your blueberry brioche snails look so delicious!!! Well done!

Mari said...

Great presentation, as well as an entertaining post. I'd definitely like to try this recipe using dried blueberries, and can definitely encourage you to try dried cherries as well.

CB said...

Another raisin hater here! Props to your mama for presentation. Great job!
Clara

Heather B said...

Great job! I love the idea of using blueberries, I'll have to try that next time! I used cranberries in my batch (I do like raisins though...just wanted something different!).

Madam Chow said...

Beautiful photos! I'll try blueberries next time. May I borrow you mother?

Erin said...

These look great! I love the way your glaze looks! I bet they would be great with blueberries- I'll have to try that one!

Dolores said...

Okay, you've convinced me. I've added dried blueberries to this week's shopping list.

Sherry Trifle - Lovely Cats said...

Your Brioche Raisin Snails are beautiful - so evenly shaped and well formed.

Jacob Stokes said...

Great looking snails. They tasted fantastic as well. Oh and you are hot!

Love you,
Jake

Lori said...

Thanks for all the sweet comments everyone!

Natalie said...

You know, I saw the dried blueberries when I picked up some cherries and debated making a berry filling. I should have done that! Looks great!

Rachel said...

Props to your mom for the presentations skillz.

And major props to you for the excellent baking skillz.

Skillz must run in the fam. :)

Karina said...

What a great substitution! They look absolutely gorgeous and I'm so glad you were able to tweak the recipe to your taste. I'll have to try it with blueberries, that sounds delicious!

Jaime said...

great job! they look perfect! i love the idea of using blueberries :)

Rebecca of "Ezra Pound Cake" said...

My mom helped with my Pecan Sticky Buns pics, but now I can see she's got to raise her game. Foliage! That's awesome. ;)

Donna said...

Blueberries! Good idea! I'll have to try that next time!

Gretchen Noelle said...

Love that you renamed them twirls! :) Great job subbing the raisins with blueberries, what a fun idea!

ostwestwind said...

What a nice presentation, I think I would like the snails with blueberries as well. Great work!

Ulrike from Küchenlatein

Peabody said...

Dried blueberries! What a great idea. So glad that these had a wow factor for you.